Monaleen parish, part of the Diocese of Limerick, is located in Castletroy in the East of Limerick City. It was formerly part of St Patrick’s Parish but was established as an independent parish in June 1971. The population of the parish is in excess of 10,000, in one of the fastest growing suburbs in Limerick City. The parish consists of 18 townlands and within the parish, in the townland of Scart, the three dioceses of Limerick, Killaloe and Cashel and Emly meet.
The parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, who is the patron saint of sinners and the contemplative life. She is also the only person in the gospels who was a witness to the crucifixion of Jesus, his burial and the discovery of his empty tomb. She is also named in all four gospels as the first witness to the resurrection, unusual given that women were not considered as credible witnesses in legal proceedings. The feast of St Mary Magdalene is celebrated on the 22nd July each year.
The church of St Mary Magdalen was built in 1832 on land given by a local man, William Nunan and designed by the well-known architect George Goldie.
There have been just 5 parish priests of Monaleen parish.
Fr Joseph O’Beirne 1972 – 1980
Fr David McNamee 1980 – 1989
Fr Terence O’Brien 1989 – 2002
Msgr Daniel Neenan 2002 – 2017
Canon Gerard Garrett 2017 –
The parish is now part of the St John’s pastoral area along with the other city parishes of St John’s, St Michael’s, St Patrick’s and Our Lady Help of Christians.